Faculty Course Reserves

Salem Library offers course reserves for faculty who wish to place library or personal copies on hold for students to access for duration of a course. Materials must meet the established standards for copyright compliance. Have questions? Contact the Circulation Desk at circ.desk@salem.edu.

Course Reserves FAQ

How do I submit course reserves requests?

Complete the Reserve Item Information form. If you wish to place personal copies on reserve, submit the form and bring personal copies to the Gramley Library Circulation Desk; a library staff member will assist you.

How long does it take for items on course reserve to become available to my students?

Depending on the nature of the request, it can take up to five (5) business days to process a course reserves request.

What materials are eligible for course reserve?

  • Materials (e.g. books, journals, sound and/or video recordings) that belong to the Salem Academy and College library system
  • Personal copies that belong to the faculty member
  • Photocopied materials that meet “fair use” criteria, including written permission of the copyright holder when:
    • A journal article is placed on reserve more than once; or
    • The photocopied material exceeds 10% of the whole work
  • Tests, class notes, syllabi, and other materials created by the faculty member

What materials are not eligible for course reserve?

  • Materials belonging to other libraries
  • Personal photocopies that do not meet fair use criteria
  • Photocopied material that has been placed on reserve previously, unless accompanied by written permission from the copyright holder
  • Copies of audio or video recording of broadcast programs that do not meet fair use criteria for such recordings
  • Personal copies of commercially manufactured audio or video tapes, discs, and cassettes
  • Course packs
  • Consumable materials (ex: commercially produced standardized tests, workbooks)

How do I obtain permission from a copyright holder to use/reuse a work?

If needed, permission from copyright holders may be sought directly or through the Copyright Clearance Center, usually for a fee.