Salem College Libraries
Strategic Plan: 2014-2017
Salem College Libraries’ strategic plan addresses the dynamic landscape surrounding higher education. Library staff must face an accelerated pace of change in academic libraries, rapidly evolving technology and information environments, rising costs, and an increased focus on learning outcomes and assessment. We must remain flexible and responsive, striving to make sustainable changes and remain good stewards of resources while improving upon our physical and virtual spaces, resources and services. We will advocate for equitable access and personal learning experiences for our users as we also develop our own professional skills. We are motivated and led by our mission statement and core values which have been revised to frame the strategic plan.
Mission Statement: Creating personal learning experiences that inspire students to explore, create and thrive.
• Deliver useful and responsive service
• Provide and advocate for equitable access
• Manage resources for sustainability and transparency
The Libraries’ strategic plan aligns with the College’s Mission Statement, Core Values and 2013-2017 Strategic Plan; the Association of College & Research Libraries’ (ACRL) Standards for Libraries in Higher Education; and the Southern Association Colleges & Schools (SACS) for Accreditation Comprehensive Standard 3.8.
The strategic plan process is based on John Bryson’s Strategic Planning for Public and Nonprofit Organizations: A Guide to Strengthening and Sustaining Organizational Achievement. Other reports and studies consulted include the NMC Horizon Report: 2014 Higher Education Edition; The Value of Academic Libraries: A Comprehensive Research Review and Report; and Studying Students: The Undergraduate Research Project at the University of Rochester.
In formulating the strategic plan, library staff also conducted a key stakeholder analysis; a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, & Threats) analysis; and a total of eight focus groups consisting of students, faculty and administrators. This preparatory work helped staff to identify and frame five key strategic initiatives specific to our campus. Related goals and performance measurements for the next three years are included with each initiative. Moving forward, we must engage library staff and the Salem community to develop partnerships and support for our plan. We are proud of this plan and look forward to accomplishing our vision.
Director of Libraries
Salem Academy & College
Strategic Initiatives and Goals
#1 Create flexible, inviting and engaging spaces to enhance student learning and creativity
- Expand and improve the physical learning spaces of the libraries
- Provide virtual and physical spaces that are user friendly
- Ensure that the technological infrastructure meets current needs and is flexible enough for future needs
- Develop programs that encourage scholarly inquiry, academic engagement and play
#2 Improve equitable access to library collections, services, and facilities
- Promote successful navigation of library facilities
- Prioritize ease of access to electronic and print information and resources
- Support discovery of virtual library spaces and services
- Enhance Information Literacy (IL) instruction and outreach to students
#3 Enhance and preserve library resources
- Enhance the library’s print and physical collections
- Maintain and preserve library print and archive collections
- Explore new opportunities for online resources
#4 Develop communication strategies and awareness for library resources and services
- Incorporate consistent library identity and messaging
- Increase visibility of staff
- Improve outreach
#5 Engage and support library staff to meet the missions of the College and the Libraries
- Create an organizational structure that reflects the mission and core values of the libraries
- Develop an organizational culture that fosters innovation, exceptional performance and flexibility
- Improve Public and Technical Services structures